Monday, 28 November 2011

Another new plot progress update

This is the area where we dug out that big old bramble a couple of weeks ago. We have put in some new supports for the grapevines and loganberry that we plan to put in.

And this is the remains of the bonfire we had last night, on which said bramble was ceremoniously burnt.

I have made quite a bit of progress with the digging, gradually removing all those chrysanths, which is a shame as they are still flowering away...  the green bit at the back is the first bit I dug, which is now covered in weeds again!

And this is my 'shed' ... until such time as I can put up something a bit more substantial, with guttering for rainwater etc.

Saturday, 12 November 2011

In a Tangle with a Bramble

I've been thinking about clearing the greenhouse out for some time now. Normally I would have done it weeks ago, but there were still so many things apparently still growing. I picked the last of the peppers, almost ripe, but not quite. The tomatoes were still growing and producing flowers, although obviously they won't come to anything now. So yesterday I decided to clear everything except the chillies, because they are still busy ripening. I've made some wonderful, spicy chilli jam, which is going down well so I think another batch might be a good idea.

 Even these outdoor grown tomatoes are still ripening!

Since my last post I have been on a trip to RHS Wisley. Unfortunately it was pouring with rain most of the day so it was a bit gloomy and soggy, but still very beautiful. The orchid above was one of many in their wonderful glasshouse, and the autumn colour (below) was amazing, even in the rain.

So back at the allotment, our task for this weekend is to get rid of this monster, to make room for some grapes, and my little cherry tree which is currently in a container and not doing terribly well.

By lunchtime today we had got to a point where you could actually get from one side of the plot to the other.

By close of play today it looked like this:

Tomorrow we will be digging out the rest of the roots and stumps and preparing the ground for planting. You will notice I say 'we' rather than 'I', and yes! there really were two of us today, my husband came to help for the first time in my whole allotment career! That's because he's the one that wants to plant grapes (for winemaking!) We'll see how long it lasts...

So with the lure of a big bonfire (in a couple of weeks, after it's dried out a bit) I might even be able to get one of my children up there for the first time!

I can't remember if I've mentioned, I have been elected Committee Secretary for the Allotment Association. This kind of happened by accident when I was put on the spot and was unable to say no when I was asked. I thought it would just be a case of taking minutes at committee meetings a few times a year, but it turns out it's quite a lot more than that.... liaising with local councilors, sending out the warning letters.... things I wasn't really prepared for. However, it does have its advantages, such as being first in the know when someone is selling off a very large roll of enviromesh at a bargain price! And after less than a year on this site, I already know a lot more people on the site than I ever did after three years on the old one. Many of them live very close by too so it is quite 'community', which is nice.