Tuesday 26 July 2011

At the Allotment


I picked the first of the french beans today, looks like there will be a bumper crop.



I'm getting a steady stream of courgettes now, but so far only from two of the plants. The one you can see at the back there has yet to produce anything but male flowers.




Here's the first pumpkin swelling nicely...




...and I think this is a Potimarron squash.




I planted out these leeks (foreground) a few days ago, the ones behind had a few weeks' head start.




And finally the first runner beans are beginning to show.


I had a good weed and tidy up this morning. I'm going to have to lift the red onions and shallots soon, I don't think they are going to grow much more, the foliage is all dying back now.


The outdoor tomatoes are not doing so great, the first trusses formed fruit, but the next few just shrivelled and dropped off. There are lots more coming though, so I've given them a feed and a comfrey mulch and will just have to keep a close eye on them.


I've got masses of aubergine flowers forming now, but I don't know how many fruits each plant can realistically support - I've never successfully grown them before, so I don't know whether to remove some of them. If anyone knows, do please let me know!

2 comments:

Mal's Allotment said...

Looking promising. I planted out my leeks yesterday only to find the fox came and dug out half of them - that will teach me to use fish blood and bonemeal on them!

I'm waiting with bated breathe for the beans to start. They are flowering so it shouldn't be too long...

Damo said...

All looking good, I've not had a great year for tomatoes so far, not helped by the dog getting into the greenhouse and picking off some of the better green toms and then depositing them on the lawn!