Wednesday 21 September 2011

Work begins on the new plot


So now I am on plot number 3. I hope I stay put this time! This is the view from near the top end, showing how overgrown it has become since the current tenant, Baden Locke, (all round chrysanth expert and international chrysanthemum judge) became too frail to look after it. You can probably just make out the flowers he has grown this year.

I am keeping on the old plot until I have harvested and moved everything I still want, which will probably be early next spring if I am not to sacrifice all my psb like I had to last year.


This is the very top end, where I am planning to put comfrey and rhubarb.


From here right up to the fence you can just about see at the back, is fruit. There is a rickety shelter at the back, built out of wooden pallets and corrugated iron, and covered in brambles. There is also a compost bay made of corrugated sheet asbestos...... but as long as I leave it where it is it shouldn't present a problem.


This is the strawberry patch, soon after I started clearing it last week....


... and here it is after I'd finished clearing it, and before I started replanting all the plants in orderly rows! This is still a work in progress so hopefully next week I will be able to post pictures of the finished strawberry patch, and maybe a cleared area ready to put garlic in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice to see you are looking after my dad's old allotment. Hope it all works out well for you. He loved working the plots and spent many happy hours there.
Tony Locke, Atlanta, USA