Tuesday 30 December 2008

Look what I got for Christmas!

Roll on March! I can't wait to get my seeds going in this - it's heated!


And also this:


But so far the birds either haven't noticed it yet, or are turning their beaks up at it. I don't know why as you couldn't wish for a posher or smarter feeding post. Anyway it's a lot more attractive than the swingball that was there before.

I went on a long walk this morning, coming back through the allotments. I haven't walked down the alleyway that connects them to the main road for a while, but today I noticed that the vandals have obviously rampaged their way down there as well: a whole length of fence has been pulled down. They clearly start at that end and work their way down, having a go at all the allotments on either side of the public path, particularly the ones nearest the entrance gates. One poor plotholder has had his metal shed (presumably a precaution against arson) completely destroyed. It's just a mangled mess. I think by the time they got as far as mine they had run out of steam a bit - just a couple of tyres and a plank of wood out of place today.

I have been thinking about what could be used as an effective, but legal deterrent. The site manager had had the good idea of surrounding my shed with prickly brambles and holly etc. What would be really great is if you could somehow douse the offender with some seriously smelly fermented comfrey juice. But how? Suggestions welcome. I will have to wait until spring now anyway as there is no comfrey growing at the moment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have one of those mini-propagators for the windowsill. Works very well indeed, although you have to keep turning them in winter so the seedlings don't bend toward the light all the time.