Saturday 30 January 2010

First potatoes chitting

My Anya seed potatoes were starting to sprout in their bag in the fridge, so I have got them out to start them chitting. I don't think it's too early. Anyway once they start there's no stopping them is there? The others are still ok so I've left them for now.

I'm trying not to think too much about all the plants, especially the edible ones, I'll be leaving behind when we move. We are due our first crop of asparagus this year, but it will also be our last. I'm hoping we will decide we're not as keen on asparagus as we thought we were. There are the two apple trees I put in this time last year, from which I've had just two apples so far. And there's the damson tree. At least my cherry tree is in a container so I can take it with me. So are the new blueberries, a bay and a rosemary bush. Also I will get to see the crocuses and daffodils that I planted under the damson tree last autumn. Best of all, there's my new garden, which is a blank canvas at the moment, a perfect new project!

Yesterday I sowed my celeriac seeds - the first seed sowing of the year! Just like last year, they are inside on the kitchen window sill, wrapped up in bubble wrap. I really must get down to the plot and start digging......

2 comments:

Jo said...

Try not to think about what you're leaving behind, instead think about the new chapter you're starting. It will be great starting from scratch, just think of all the plant shopping you'll be able to do.
There's a meme on my blog for you.

Anonymous said...

My celariac are still in the ground from last year...I'm so lazy....