Monday 25 January 2010

Seed Potatoes


I have just been on a trip to Leicester to get my seed potatoes and onion sets. It may seem like a long way at 25 miles each way, but I have saved so much money it was worth it. They have around 90 varieties of seed potato, (although a few had run out) and you can buy them loose. They cost £1.25 a kilo up to 10 kilos, £1.00 a kilo for 10 kilos or above. This is what I will be planting this year:

6 x Foremost }
6 x Vanessa } First early

18 x Anya (saved from last year's crop) } Second early
5 x Maxine }

10 x Kestrel - Second early/early maincrop

10 x Cara }
10 x Rooster } Maincrop

I also bought about 30 red onion sets, 30 brown onion sets and 10 shallot sets. Oh, and two packets of kale seed!

Grand total - £8.03 - which I reckon is a BARGAIN!!

I can also report that I have put my name on the waiting list for an allotment on a site very close to 'our new house'! Apparently I may have to wait about a year, but this seems reasonable considering the length of some waiting lists, and the fact that I already have one - I just won't be able to walk there after we move. On the moving front, everything seems to be proceeding smoothly, but it's still early days.

4 comments:

Jo said...

Bargain. The good thing with this is that you can buy exactly the amount you want, and therefore, can try a few different varieties. Hope you're not waiting too long for a new plot.

allot of veg said...

That sounds great - interested where if you are prepared to share as I am local to Leicester

Rachael said...

Of course - it's Brookside Nurseries in Anstey. Here's the website for details: http://www.brooksidenurseries.co.uk/sps.php

allot of veg said...

Spookily I went there today and bought mine before seeing your reply. I spent even less than you but my plot is probably smaller - lets hope it's good stock & thanks. J.