Friday 15 April 2011

Another new plot?

So I've just finished clearing the last patch of my new allotment, and it's looking really tidy, and I've sown/planted a few crops. The crop rotation plan is all worked out, and I'm beginning to feel I'm in control of the situation. So imagine my reaction when just the other day, the site manager comes over and tells me that there's a great plot becoming vacant - a full one as opposed to my half one - in the autumn. As they have been so impressed with how well I've done with mine, they wanted me to have first refusal on it!

Well my first thought was: I'll have to transplant all that fruit again! It will take even longer before it's established and producing a decent yield. I didn't really think I wanted a bigger plot, as I've got enough to do with the one I've got. Until I was offered one that was. Now I'm beginning to like the idea....

This is the plot, above. The current tenant is a chrysanthemum fanatic, apparently most of his plot is devoted to them and he has even written books on the subject. That's what all those iron stakes are for, his chrysanth support structure. They will all be removed before the next tenant takes over, as will the oak and ash trees which have seeded themselves right in the middle of the plot. Unfortunately he is now on his last legs and is being forced to give it all up, poor old chap.

However his loss could be my gain, because what has really swung me is all these lovely FRUIT bushes! There are a few strawberries, lots of raspberries, gooseberries and currants (can't tell yet which colour) and blackberries. I reckon about one third of the plot is already full of fruit, and if I move mine over as well I will have an instant supply of the stuff, and even more when mine has matured.

And there will still be plenty of space for growing LOTS more veggies, and maybe even some flowers as well. Even my husband is starting to mutter things about helping, and growing grapes.... but we'll see.

The only thing that worries me is the amount of work there will be. But if one third is taken up with fruit, and that is all mulched and weed-proofed, it needn't be that much more than I have to do now. So I have more or less told him I will take it, although I haven't actually signed on the dotted line yet....

3 comments:

Damo said...

The plot looks in pretty good order, I'd snap it up if I were you, all those fruit bushes and extra space. Offers like that don't come round very often!

Anonymous said...

I would take it too, you can never have too much space really as you'll be able to rotate and mix and match to suit you. Bit of good luck about the fruit growing there already too! I wish you every success with it, it'll be worth the hard work in the end!

Anonymous said...

I've started to believe that fruit is the future! I grow so much veg that I dont really use, but the fruit, I eat it all!!
As long as you plan it right, it can work for you!! Hurrah!!