Thursday 7 April 2011

An early spring

It seems to me to have been a long time since we had such warm weather so early in the year, but I'm not complaining. Now that it's April, it's unlikely we will get any more really cold snaps, but I probably shouldn't speak too soon.

Needless to say I have been taking advantage of the weather, and the fact that I am now on my Easter break, to 'get things done'. So, at the allotment potatoes are now all in, peas are in, carrots and spinach are also in. Broad beans are up and away.

I have begun clearing the final bed, the summer veg bed, but you can't quite see that bit in the picture below, as I'm standing on it.

At home the greenhouse crops have now all been moved out to the greenhouse, with sheets of fleece, bubble wrap and polystyrene sheeting all at the ready just in case. Although yesterday I had to hang an old sheet on the outside of the greenhouse - to provide shade as it got so hot in there!

I have sown some lettuce and spinach seeds in a big tub and next project is to get some herbs going.

Ooh sunshine!

1 comment:

Matron said...

It has been warm here too! so many things in the greeenhouse have been out to get some sunshine and harden off. Just a few warnings of night time frost this week so I must be careful.