Wednesday 5 November 2008

Dreadful drizzle and colourful compost

I was hoping to get to the plot this week to plant the garlic and broad beans. I really don't fancy it today though as it's drizzling persistently and I just can't face it. The rest of the week doesn't look much better. No photos today because I haven't been for a while and last time I went I WISH I'd taken the camera but I'll just have to describe it to you instead:
I emptied the bin with the finished compost in, then set about transferring the contents of the current bin to the empty one, by way of turning and aerating it. So. I slid the black plastic container up and off the contents, and was left with a perfect cylinder of stripey layers! Bright green on top, then getting darker and more decomposed as it went down, interspersed with layers of white/beige of shredded paper and cardboard, and one or two rather lurid layers of rotting bokashi bin contents. Very very exciting!
The finished compost went onto next year's potato patch, having first turned and dug in the weeds that were growing there, and I have also covered it with a tarpaulin for good measure, to stop any reappearing.
We have eaten the first two leeks! They were the only two that were big enough to dig up, the rest are still quite small and skinny.

No comments: