Saturday, 28 February 2009

Plot progress continues

Today I have planted three blackcurrant bushes.
Before planting, I pulled out all last year's sunflowers, and weeded the area where last year grew the ill-fated melons.

£2.00 a pop from Wilkinsons, so I hope they survive. I bought one last year and it didn't, but you never know. I put plenty of my home-made compost in the planting holes, which should be enough to make anyone happy.

Saw a wren up there. I thought I saw one out of the corner of my eye last time, but couldn't be sure. I hope it lives in the hedge.

The garlic has finally come up. Needs weeding. Onions still looking a bit iffy. I will wait a bit longer and if they don't look very promising I can always replace them.

The broad beans are a bit gappy. Some either didn't germinate, or didn't make it through the snow. I'm considering moving some from the last row into the gaps, so it looks neater, and leaves more room for the french and runner beans.

Finally, the rhubarb has at last put in an appearance:

I'm thinking ginger and rhubarb cheesecake, rhubarb crumble and custard, rhubarb ice-cream. Mmmmmmm.

No comments: